“It was tumultuous, it was crazy, but I would not trade it for anything.” Colin Quinn
That is how I feel about 2013, and I know I”m not alone. Many of my friends and family had a similarly challenging year filled with change and transitions. While it was difficult, the events of 2013 were part of the larger journey we continue along this year. As I reflect and “prepare” for the year ahead, I’m thinking about three big things:
What are my priorities this year? What are the goals associated with those priorities? What systems am I putting in place to assure that I achieve those goals?
- Career – I am focusing on my marketing/writing work primarily with just one company, but how does that affect my bigger dreams of creating a business to help the creative class?
- Finance – Money smarts and activity are getting more attention this year.
- Love – Last year I was lucky to start the year off by meeting an incredible guy. Throughout the year I had moments of not giving him enough of my focus or energy. This year he will get the best of me.
- Friends – I worked on my interpersonal skills and being a good listener in 2013, so I want to give that additional attention and deepen my existing relationships.
- Create a plan for balancing my paying work with my business dreams
- Get more involved in the music community in Austin
- Develop a more strategic way to handle my money and investments
- Learn more about finance and investing
- Be a great listener
- Once a week for a minimum of 1 hour (on Sunday mornings) I will set aside time to work on my business dreams. This can be in the form of a meeting with someone in the industry or just research.
- Begin taking voice lessons 1-2 times a month. After 3 months of practice, begin teaching voice lessons again.
- I am signed up for a 4 week class titled Investing for Beginners, and I’ll continue with my Women’s Investing Group meetings every month to further my knowledge.
- I will create an updated budget that includes expenditures as well as projected income. The first draft of this budget must be complete by January 12th, and the finalized budget by the end of February.
- Once a day take time to fully listen to someone tell a story – giving my complete attention, not interrupting with comments, asking minimal follow-up questions, not getting distracted by my own thoughts that relate, and using simple body language to confirm to my speaker that I am listening.